LaGrange Park neighbor heads off chimney fire
Updated: December 24, 2012 6:36AM
LAGRANGE PARK — A quick-thinking neighbor helped halt the spread of a fireplace fire.
Firefighters responded to a report of a chimney on fire at 7:37 p.m. Friday at 801 N. Kensington Ave., which had spread to the roof.
“There were a lot of sparks, some flame and heavy smoke, but it was a self-extinguishing fire that did not spread to the roof,” said Fire Chief Dean Maggos.
Apparently the homeowner was tending a fire in the fireplace when a neighbor alerted the resident the chimney and possibly the roof were on fire, Maggos said.
The amount of damage is undetermined, pending an inspection of the chimney and roof, he said.
Maggos said the incident underscores the need for homeowners to have their chimneys and fireplaces cleaned and inspected as the winter season approaches.